top of page

HISTORY OFGARRETT & CAMPBELL

6th East 4th St.
IMG_7077.PNG
1950-1955                 
15 East. 5th St. 
1967-Christmas-Parade-5th-and-Market-2009-0053-044_edited.jpg
1955-1967                 
523 Nichols St.
1970s_edited.jpg
1967-2019
523 Nichols St.
STORE.jpg
2019- Present

PHOTOS COURTESY OF THE CALLAWAY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 

model-t-silhouette-000000-md.png
History Behind the Current Building and How Garrett and Campbell Got Started.

The current location of Garrett & Campbell is at 523 Nichols Street. In historic downtown Fulton Missouri. The building of the current location was built in 1900. In 1904, John Judt (1861- 1930) and Wade Harris (1858-1941) opened the Judt-Harris Hardware Co. established and located in this building.   The following is a list of items carried at the store, hardware, farming implements, threshar supplies, wire fencing, buggies, wagons, stoves, and ranges. The company also made a specialty of the Yale-Town goods, such as padlocks, night latches, builders' hardware, ornaments, cabinet locks, tuck locks, etc.

Wade Harris was the president of Judt-Harris Hardware Company and John Judt was the secretary and treasurer of the company. When John Judt died on Nov. 17, 1930, Mr. Harris became the company’s sole owner, until he retired in August 1940. Wade Harris sold his hardware store to Willard Rohn. Willard Rohn changed the name of the company once again to Harris-Rohn Hardware Company.  In 1945 Willard Rohn passed away and Harry Monroe Estes bought the building and named it Estes Hardware. 

The Garrett and Campbell company started in 1950 when Ernest Clifford Garrett opened the plumbing business called Garretts’ Gas Service with his son Bill Garrett. The business was first located on 6th East 4th Street (where the new Fulton City Hall is located), Later in 1955 Ernest and Bill moved their company to 15 East 5th St. (Which was across the street from the Fulton Courthouse.) Renaming the business E.C. Garrett and Sons.

​ In 1965, Mr. Garrett and Mr. Campbell bought Vaughn Plumbing and Heating and added heating and air conditioning with Lennox equipment. Then in 1967, Garrett and Campbell bought Estes Hardware and moved to 523 Nichols St. in Fulton. Not far from the original location. They sold appliances in the 70's when appliances first came popular. The appliances were bright and natural colors. Garrett and Campbell also performed state vehicle inspections.

In 1995 Bill Garrett retired and sold his half of the business to Mr. Campbell's son and daughter, Bud Campbell and Brenda Loeffler. In 1998 Sterling Campbell retired leaving the business to be run by Bud and Brenda. The brother and sister team worked together running Garrett and Campbell until 2019. The business remained in the family for over 69 years.

​ David Anderson joined the Garrett & Campbell team in 2015. In 2019, Brenda Loeffler retired and sold her half to David and Anne Anderson. Together Bud, David, and Anne have & will continue to run it as a family-owned business.

 

download.jpg
images (1).jpg
Estes_Hardware-523_Nichols_1954(2014-0061-09).jpg
JUDT-HARRIS

TAP IMAGE TO MAGNIFY

TAP IMAGE TO MAGNIFY

IMG_9819.jpg
E.C. GARRETT AND SONS WORK ORDER.jpg

TAP IMAGE TO MAGNIFY

IMG_9820.jpg

TAP IMAGE TO MAGNIFY

TAP IMAGE TO MAGNIFY

COURTSEY OF THE CALLAWAY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 

COURTSEY OF THE CALLAWAY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 

CONTACT US 24/7

LOGO.png
CALL US
  • White Facebook Icon
VIST US
AREAS COVERED
FOLLOW US ON

523 NICHOLS STREET

FULTON, MO 65251

Fulton, Columbia, 

Jefferson City, Mexico & Surrounding Areas

bottom of page